Most Common Causes of Pet Poisoning in Daly City
Each year, countless pets are brought into animal hospitals after ingesting or being exposed to a poisonous substance. Pet poisoning is a serious and all-too-common problem, and it is one that can - in many instances - be prevented. Unfortunately, even the most loving pet parents are not always aware of the potential dangers lurking in or around their homes.
March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month, and here at Animal Farm Pet Hospital, we would like to take this opportunity to educate you on some of the most common causes of pet poisoning in Daly City. Keep reading to learn more!
Common Pet Poisons
Pet poisoning is such a common occurrence largely because many of the things that we enjoy are hazardous to our furry friends. Things like chocolate, coffee, and even mistletoe can cause serious problems in pets, though, so it’s important to know what to keep away from your pet. Here are some of the most common causes of pet poisoning we see here at Animal Farm Pet Hospital:
- Citrus Oils
- Human and Pet Medications
- Xylitol (which is found in some peanut butter brands and many other products)
- Household Cleaning Products
- Automotive Fluids
This list is by no means exhaustive. For additional information and a much more comprehensive list, please check out the ASPCA Poison Control website.
Symptoms of Poisoning in Pets
The symptoms of poisoning in pets vary and may occur immediately or several hours or days after ingestion/exposure. Some of the most common signs that a pet has been poisoned include:
- Loss of Appetite
- Excessive Thirst and/or Urination
- Yellowish or Pale Gums
- Loss of Coordination
- Hyperactivity or Restlessness
- Muscle Tremors
- Loss of Consciousness
Treatment for Pet Poisoning in Daly City
If your companion needs treatment for pet poisoning in Daly City, trust the expert team right here at Animal Farm Pet Hospital. We provide emergency care and are here to assist during your pet’s time of need. If you have any reason to suspect that your dog or cat has suffered accidental poisoning, prompt veterinary care is required. The sooner you seek treatment, the better the prognosis for your furry friend. Contact our emergency vets right away for prompt, professional care.